Required online entry registration is available at ocfair.com/competitions
Annually, the OC Fair offers home cooks and professional chefs an opportunity to showcase their culinary talents in baking, food preserving, decorating and more in a variety of competitions. Here are the Culinary Arts competitions offered for the 2015 OC Fair (July 17-August 16):
- Cakes, Cupcakes & Confections (Register by July 8): Confections (fudge, truffles, toffee, brittle, marshmallow, caramels, jellies, chocolates); Single Layer Cakes; Cupcakes; Frosted Two-Layer Cakes; Colossal Layer Cakes
- Cookies, Bars & Brownies (Register by July 15): Cookies (biscotti, chip, oatmeal, shortbread, peanut butter, sugar, snickerdoodle, filled, special diet); Bars & Brownies (fruit, special diet, brownies, blondies)
- Pies, Cheesecakes, Yeast & Quick Bread (Register by July 22): Homemade Quick Breads (loaf, muffin, biscuits, scones, special diet); Handmade Yeast Bread (rolls, breadsticks, wheat or whole grain bread, special ingredient, French or while bread, sourdough, shaped bread); Cheesecake (plain, fruit, chocolate, caramel, candy, mini); Pies (single and double rolled crust, crust crumb, cookie crumb and tarts)
- Preserved Foods (Register by June 15): Dried Fruits, Vegetables, Meats & Herb Blends; Canned Fruit Spreads & Other Products; Canned Vegetables, Fruits & Tomatoes; Jams & Conserves; Marmalades; Preserves; Jellies; Pickles; Relishes & Salsas; Sauces & Condiments; Infused Vinegar
- Sugar Arts (Register by July 1): Decorated Fondant Formal Cake; Decorated Fondant Non-Formal Cake; Traditional Icing Cake; Sugar Sculpture & Edible Art; Decorated Cupcakes & Cookies
- Table Setting (Register by July 1 for 1st Show & July 22 for 2nd Show): Round Table; Rectangle Table (various themes each show)
All competitions require online registration by the registration dates listed above. A $5 processing fee applies for each food entry and $10 for table setting entries. Most competitions offer cash awards of up to $100 or more. Online registration is open at ocfair.com/competitions. Every entrant receives one complimentary 2015 OC Fair admission.
In addition to the various early registration competitions, the OC Fair is also hosting severalSpecial Culinary Contests that are free to enter and have later deadlines. Each contest is judged live at the Fair and is open to amateur cooks and professional chefs ages 9 and older. To receive a free Fair admission ticket to watch the judging live, entrants must register online by the Wednesday before each contest.
- Salad Daze (July 25): Showcasing the best salads, from potato and pasta to fruit or vegetables. Pre-register online by Wednesday, July 22 for free admission.
- Dip Into The Fun (August 1): Best party-worthy salsa, dip, spread, cheese ball/log or other creative dip. Pre-register online by Wednesday, July 29 for free admission.
- Ultimate Tailgate Dish (August 9): Touchdown-winning Sticks (skewers or other items served on a stick), Bones (ribs, chicken wings or other meats served on the bone) and Bowls (chili, stews, soups or other food items served in a bowl.) Pre-register byWednesday, August 5 for free admission.
It’s ‘One Big Party for the 2015 OC Fair, July 17-August 16, as it celebrates its 125th anniversary with 23 days of food, rides, shopping, exhibits and animals. Enjoy world-renowned performers in the Pacific Amphitheatre and exciting events in The Hangar and Action Sports Arena. The Fair is open Wednesday-Sunday. Concert tickets, action sports reserved seats, single-day general admission and the popular Super Pass are available for purchase online at ocfair.com or from the on-site Box Office. Also, download the free OC Fair iPhone and Android apps available this summer.
Posted By Alyson Villavicenio 5/27/15