What was a favorite or regional food item from your childhood?
My parents are both from Yucatan, so I did grow up eating the dishes from that region. My favorite dish was always Cochinita Pibil, which is one of the mainstays of my menu.
3 lbs Pork Butt
4 TGabbi’s Achiote Rub
1/4 COrange Juice
1/8 CLime Juice
1. Trim excess fat from pork butt.
2. Add salt and pepper.
3. Mix Achiote Rub with the juices of the orange and lime. Add the water. The rub should be thick enough to coat the entire pork butt.
4. Line the baking dish with two banana leaves. Place pork in the baking dish, apply the Achiote mixture.
5. Marinate for 4-6 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 350.
7. Toss pork with a little olive oil before you place in the oven.
8. Place garlic cloves into the dish, use the rest of the banana leaves to wrap the pork. Cover the baking dish with foil.
9. Bake for 3 hours or until the core temperature is at 170.
Chef Gabbi Patrick